[sclug] Wireless router recommendations?

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 15 14:59:48 UTC 2007

> I'm looking for a wireless router for my brother and his new wife, as
> part 1
> of a wedding present. (Part 2 involves me setting it up for them!)
>
> Because this is going to live in someone else's house where I won't
> be on hand
> to tinker with it I need something that's dead simple and reliable.
> I'm
> looking for a box with NAT, a firewall (preferably), and reasonably
> basic Wifi
> - --- the idea is that one end of it plugs in to their existing cable
> broadband,
> for ease of installation.
>
> Any suggestions?

I use a Linksys WRT54G which I got from ebay, although at the time (a
few months ago) they were also available from Morgan
(morgancomputers.co.uk) for around ?20 + VAT.  Has the works:  NAT,
Firewall, b/g wifi (WEP + WPA), user-friendly browser config. interface
and very reliable.  Works like a dream with my cable broadband.  Some
variants of the model (generally older ones) can also have the firmware
flashed to run Linux (the openwrt project IIRC) though this may be of
less interest to your brother than to you....

James.