[sclug] root-like read-all but not write ability?

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Wed Sep 5 22:38:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 21:58:12 +0100, John Stumbles wrote:
: A backup program I'm writing needs to be able to read all files and
: traverse all directories on the system (as root can do) but it would be
: nice if it didn't have to be trusted with root's write privileges, since
: it doesn't need them. I suspect this is one of those wouldn't-it-be-nice
: things that aren't actually possible, but maybe I'm missing something?

: It's writ in Perl, fwiw

I was about to suggest loopback mounting the filesystem somewhere but
read-only and taking your backup against that, but you can't do it on
Linux.

What you *could* do is snapshot your filesystem, mount it read-only
under a minimal chroot, and chroot your Perl script into it.  Doddle to do
under zfs on Solaris, but I've no idea where to start on linux...

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.