[sclug] root-like read-all but not write ability?

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Thu Sep 6 09:49:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 10:32:02 +0100, Sean Furey wrote:
: On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:38:50PM +0100, Dickon Hood wrote:
: > I was about to suggest loopback mounting the filesystem somewhere but
: > read-only and taking your backup against that, but you can't do it on
: > Linux.

: I'm not sure what you're describing as loopback mounting, but if it's
: what I think it is, mount --bind along with the kernel patches for
: read-only bind mounts would do the same thing.

I am.  It's a 'loopback' mount on Solaris, which is where I do most of my
filesystem work.

I read the manpage for Linux's mount and it seemed to suggest you couldn't
change the mount options on a bind mount.  I hadn't realised there are
patches for it.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.