[sclug] SCLUG competition!!! Free computers and beer!!!

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Tue Apr 8 10:34:57 UTC 2008

right I take it from the lack of replies either:

you all hate me and wish I would get off the list
you can't think of anything clever/fun/interesting/amusing to say
you are affraid if you do come up with an idea you will have to take a
computer you don't want (this is not the case)
you all hate free beer
you all hate talking about the wonderful stability and diversity of a
low power linux box

please let me know

To make it easier I will now give away two of the harder to quess
answers to the five projects quesitons, leaving only three to guess.

CCTV server: one NIC went to camera's on the first floor which took
about 80mbit combined, the second NIC to camera's on the ground floor
which took about 50mbit, the third again was to the main company
network. The alarm system was also attached via the parralel port, so
all door access could be logged to mySQL and viewed via PHP web
interface. The box did this job for over a year, it eventually got
replaced with a redundant desktop from the company's stock because that
box had a larger pair of hard disks allowing for keeping recordings
longer and "the fan was getting noisy". I cleaned the dust out of the
fan when I got it back and it stopped being noisy. Again, no reboots or
issues, uptime was over 400 days when I de-commisioned it. They never
had any incidents to require reviewing the video footage but did look at
the door access to see if people bothered coming to work, it's a shame I
can't claim the box has helped solve a crime though.

Network diagnostics tool. Using one NIC connected to the main desktop
VLAN so I can acces the box from a desk and the other two configured as
a bridge and connected to various points in companies comms rooms. I
have used this box to solve MANY network issues using nothing more than
nTop and ethereal (now wireshark) and some clever tcpdump/pcap filters
and reports. Everything from finding a hidden FTP server a employee was
using to share warez on the company leased line to finding a faulty
label printer which after 3 years uptime had decided to spew out 100mbit
of garbage to the router! This box has won me loads of work by making
lovely graphs showing were all the bandwidth has gone and why they need
a throttling HTTP proxy and QoS being set up on there gateway router if
they want to allow youtube access to staff and still get consistant
performance on realtime protocols.

There are still 3 more projects this box has done to guess!

TCA