[sclug] things missing from Linux...

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Apr 14 23:14:35 UTC 2008

Jason Rivers wrote:
[...]
>    - That silly animation that runs while Windows is copying a file,
>    together with its wild estimations of time to complete: 30 seconds
>    remaining, 2 minutes, 9 minutes, 25 minutes, 37 minutes, 30 seconds.

I think KDE's got this.

>    - The registry

aptitude install gconf

>    - Virus checking software

aptitude install clamav

>    - The window that comes up when a program crashes and sends the crash
>    dump to Redmond, to give them a much needed laugh. Linux programs instead
>    lay a small binary turd file in situ. After a while you end up with quite a
>    large collection of these, decorating your directories.

aptitude install apport, although only on Ubuntu AFAIK.

>    - Automatic updates fixing vulnerabilities in Outlook Express. Who
>    uses Outlook Express these days? Why?
>    - Windows genuine disadvantage

Can't help you with these.

>    - The Windows pause, by which I mean that increasingly prevalent
>    nothing-happening-for-no-reason delay that intrudes between the user poking
>    and the software flinching.

aptitude install compiz, although it needs configuring for the full effect.

One thing she's missed is the way Windows will helpfully rearrange all
your icons. Gnome will just let you scatter them on all your various
monitors willy-nilly, where Windows will periodically move them all onto
monitor #1 for your comfort and convenience.

--
? "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my