[sclug] My disk esplode

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Tue Apr 15 00:41:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 01:11:40 +0100, David Given wrote:
: Dickon Hood wrote:
: [...]
: > : At this point I needed to take an image of the hard disk. dd would not
: > : work, because dd doesn't handle I/O errors appropriately.

: > dd if=... of=... conv=noerror,sync

: > Bad blocks are replaced with zero bytes, and it all works as well as can
: > be expected.  Likely one of the two tools you mention below do little more
: > than this.

: Ah, I didn't know the sync option caused it to replace the bad blocks
: with zeroed blocks --- noerror alone just omits them, with catastrophic
: results on disk images!

Yup -- I've never seen the point of that.

: ddrescue is actually fairly clever; it will as rapidly as possible read
: the working parts of the disk, and then binary chops the non-working
: bits down to individual sectors and will keep retrying them until they
: work (or you tell it to stop). It also keeps ongoing logfiles so it can
: resume where it left off if you tell it to stop. Dead handy.

Ah, it's that.  Yes, I've heard of it.

: [...]
: > It's quite simple, people: one copy of the data is no copy at all.  You
: > have no backup, and you have no guarantee that the data you think you have
: > is available.

: Indeed. But I *am* a home user, not a professional one; the data is not
: of monetary worth, merely inconvenient to replace; and I don't want to
: pay twice as much for my disk space (although that's less of an issue
: these days). This was the first disk I've *ever* had that's died. Also,
: RAID over USB is a pain in the arse.

But how inconvenient has it been?  If you've spent more than a couple of
hours on it, you would probably have been better off buying two.

Over the years, I've had more discs fail on me than I care to remember;
I'm probably a little paranoid about failures these days, but it's saved
me rather a lot.  I, like most people, have little interest in taking
(managing) backups, and as such, I've had a lot of success with data
replication.  It's not a solution to the dataloss problem, but it is far,
far more reliable than having just the one disc.  In your case, you appear
not to have had either.

: If the SMART had worked, the disk would have moaned at me *before* it
: went wrong and given me time for me to do something about it. I suspect
: I may invest in a SATA external card and then buy SATA disks in future.
: Faster, too...

There is that.  I wasn't aware that SMART didn't work over USB, but I
suppose I should have guessed.  USB Mass Storage is little more than the
basic SCSI command set over a USB transport, but it's missing all the nice
bits.  SATA is a better subset of the SCSI command set over a much, much
better transport, but still not as good.

: (Incidentally, please don't cc me when you reply to the list, people; I
: don't need two copies...)

Apologies; I tend to hit 'g' by default and be done with it.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.