[sclug] My disk esplode

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Tue Apr 15 10:38:41 UTC 2008

David Given wrote:

> Out of interest, is it possible to get external HDD racks? Just a box
> with cooling and power, out of which I can run a bundle of SATA cables
> to the PC. And, preferably, not industrial sized, too.

I have one of these, it's a ?4.99 ebuyer external USB hard drive box
that I cut a little gap in the end and ran a 1m sata cable out of.
Getting long sata cables is another matter (I got mine from a rackmount
server which was smashed by DHL. I have still yet to get anything with
eSATA, but that only extends to 2m. It also has shielded cables and
different plugs, but the one I pulled from the server seem to be
shielded anyway (one was cut by DHL crushing)

One interesting FAIL I have just discovered about SATA cables:

The external connector and cable are designed for over five thousand
insertions and removals while the internal connector is only specified
to withstand fifty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#External_SATA

FIFTY! Bloody rubbish connector... who ever approved that. I thought new
technology was supposed to be better... fifty plug in's really isn't enough.