[sclug] [Fwd: Make my mp3s louder]

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 19:10:40 UTC 2008

Neil Haughton wrote:
> Sorry - take 2: typos removed.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to make my ogg/mp3 tracks louder?
>
> I have a number of my own CDs which I've ripped and encoded as either
> Ogg or MP3 format, and stored on my Nokia phone which also doubles up as
> a music player. (It's okay for cycling through the traffic, before
> anyone asks about quality :-) )

Audacity is your friend. Ubuntu Feisty has a version in the repository
which would probably be fine (although I never got round to
re-installing it last time I upgraded) - I'd imagine that other distros
would have similar. IIRC the usual IPR foolishness prevents the
as-shipped version from supporting MP3 - you have to install some extra
libs to get round that. (All my stuff is in Ogg, so that didn't affect me.)

The only issue I had last time was some kind of config / compatibility
problem with my sound hardware (probably something to do with ALSA
rather than Audacity) which meant that the microphone didn't work.

HTH

Will.