[sclug] [Fwd: Make my mp3s louder]

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 12:40:37 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 22/4/08, Neil Haughton <haughtonomous at googlemail.com> wrote:

> From: Neil Haughton <haughtonomous at googlemail.com>
> Subject: [sclug] [Fwd: Make my mp3s louder]
> To: sclug at sclug.org.uk
> Date: Tuesday, 22 April, 2008, 7:28 PM
> Sorry - take 2: typos removed.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to make my ogg/mp3 tracks louder?

normalize (part of the normalize-audio package in Ubuntu, if memory serves) will alter the volume on both mp3 and wav (and maybe ogg, I'm not sure) files.  For mp3 files it just changes the replaygain tag; for wav it will change the waveform data so mp3 / ogg tracks encoded from that wav will play at the new volume on any player.  The manual page is pretty good.

James.