[sclug] Help! (with a big 'H')

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sat Apr 26 16:53:09 UTC 2008

Will Dickson wrote:
[...]
> WTF? This is an LTS release, and they bundled a FF *beta*? Wieee-erd.
> Are you sure there isn't an option to revert to FF 2?

It's so they don't have to do a major-version-number-change later, when
FF3 comes out and FF2 is deprecated by the Mozilla Foundation. Switching
from 3b5 to 3 will be a much less drastic change than from 2 to 3.

And yes, FF2 is still in the repository if you want it.

Incidentally, the new Ubuntu worked like a charm on rhean, my el-cheapo
Tesco box --- except for the sound, which was a pain in the arse. rhean
has an ICH7 audio chipset which is apparently notoriously problematic.
Installing the linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic module and
rebooting fixed it, after quite a lot of irritated fiddling with the
mixer controls (the magic one is Front, which must be non-zero to make
the sound audible).

[...]
> While you're on the subject, you might want to revisit the decision to
> use ReiserFS, especially if the verdict goes against Hans Reiser (the
> jury is still out, but is expected to reach a verdict soon).

Yes; it's thought that ReiserFS may be an accomplice, and so if Hans
Reiser is found guilty the software will be locked away too, which means
you won't be able to get at any of your data.

--
? "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my