[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 55, Issue 18

Darren Davison darren at davisononline.org
Mon Apr 28 14:42:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 02:29:32PM +0100, Phillip Chandler wrote:
> This is a stab in the dark here, as Im using Ubuntu 7.10. But for the
> wireless on the laptop (Dell Inspiron 1200) I use wicd
> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/ which is just absolutely spot on, as I just
> cant get the networkmanager to work. Maybe Im being too lazy to even
> bother. But have you considered using wicd in Heron ? Im assuming
> (again) that if it works in 7.04 & 7.10 then maybe 8.04 should be OK.

NetworkManager is still a little quirky in 8.04, but I've found it to be
the first usable version of it.  I totally ignored it under Feisty,
persevered with its stupidity under Gutsy, but in Hardy it's generally
fine.  When it isn't, it can recover - which I found it never able to do
in Gutsy.

I tried wicd under Gutsy, and although it had some nice features, I
ultimately couldn't live with having to manually tell
Evolution/Firefox/Liferea etc that the network was up due to its lack of
dbus integration (I think).

D.

--
Darren Davison