[sclug] Help! wireless with Ubuntu 8.04

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 28 20:03:29 UTC 2008

I had a thought vis-a-vis wireless problems with Ubuntu 8.04. Okay, so
wireless isn't Linux's strongest point, but ethernet possibly is (or
thereabouts).

As I see it, a router is a router is a router - it is bidirectional and
it doesn't matter if the connection to it is by cable or air,  so I
could have any number of wireless routers communicating over wireless to
the cabled PCs connected to each. So, if I plugged a spare wireless
router into eth0 on my PC, could I configure the new wireless router to
'talk' to my main wireless router/modem downstairs?

It sounds so simple I don't know why I haven' thought of it before, and
I'm just waiting for someone to explain the obvious catch (apart from
the higher cost of a router compared to a wireless adapter).

However I figure that once I've done this, my wireless problems with
Linux will be over, because Linux will not care - it will be talking
over ethernet to another ethernet device.

What am I missing?

Neil