[sclug] Acer Aspire One and Ubuntu Flavours

Jason Rivers jason at jasonrivers.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 00:10:13 UTC 2008

Matthew,

I recently did an install of Ubuntu 8.10 on an Acer Aspire One laptop, and
everything worked out of the box, appart from the Wifi adaptor.

This was actually very easy to solve, You'll need a wired connection and you
need to blacklist the "ath_pci" module (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist) and then
install the right driver:

sudo  apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic

add "ath5k" to /etc/modules

from here, you have 2 choices, you can reboot, or you can run the following
2 commands to have it working in the current session (I don't like the
Reboot theory too much)

sudo rmmod ath_pci
sudo modprobe ath5k

from here you have working wifi.

The device I installed on was also a 120GB disk version, with 512MB memory,
and the Atom CPU, all works very well on this device, and hopefully the wifi
issue won't be in the modules for too long.

I was once a fan of Ubuntu, and I still use it on my Eee, 8.10 also works
VERY well with Mobile broadband - which is great, as I just bought one.

Hope this helps.

Jason.