[sclug] ubuntu runlevels from grub

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Fri Feb 1 20:47:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:15:42 +0000, Tom Carbert-Allen wrote:
: well it seems the message i sent earlier (see below) was from my other
: account so wasn't accepted to the list (???) but i have solved the
: problem now anyway.

: I wrote some scripts I wanted to fire off from the grub menu by using
: the old way of passing a runlevel number at the end of the line, but it
: appears upstart (the replacement for init) only detects "single" or
: defaults to runlevel2 (2-5 look the same to me on server anyway, and
: even have a comment they are only there for compatability)

Umm.  I cannot for the life of me think why on earth you'd ever want to do
such a thing.

Can you enlighten me as to what you're doing this for?  It all seems
horribly odd to me.

: After banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out I
: realised the above about upstart ignoring runlevels. I considered fixing
: it up pushing it upstream but being friday night i'm not writing
: polished enough code for that.... So instead i just stuck my script in
: runlevel 2, cat /proc/cmdline, look for my triggers (which are now words
: rather than single digit runlevels) and case to fire off the stuf i
: want. Much better solution.
:
: TCA
: