[sclug] Headphone socket on laptop

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Sun Jan 20 03:10:51 UTC 2008

hmmm, asoundconf (sorry for typo) not showing any cards doesn't sound
good, but you say you are getting sound from the internal speakers? strange

The intel HDA driver is a multi level affair, it can pretty much always
find the basics, but needs a pin config to do advanced stuff. The fact
yours is showing up as "generic" probably means the version of ALSA you
are running doesn't have and exact pin config for your board so it's
using a basic pin config based on reference docs not real world reports
what HP are sending out (they seem to change this stuff every board
revision for some unknown reason). Try upgrading/looking at the
source/searching there mail archive to see if your boards id has been
added/updated. Once you have a full pin config you will be able to see
all the switchs, the driver supports every feature of the chipset, it
just doesn't know every OEM's implementation of it.

TCA