[sclug] Quiet PSU recommendations

Matt Dainty matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Thu Jul 3 15:35:11 UTC 2008

* Andy Hayward <ach at buteo.org> [2008-07-03 16:25:03]:
> 2008/7/3 Matt Dainty <matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com>:
> > It'll be a long long time before I buy another Antec PSU. All of the
> > ones I've bought have failed eventually. I can't remember the exact
> > models, but they were all Truepower ones, two ATX ones rated at
> > something like 450-550w, and an EPS one rated at something like
> > 650-700w, so they were all quite beefy (and not terribly cheap either).
>
> Anecdotal evidence, so let me add mine: These two Antec PSUs were
> bought to replace a couple of Enermax PSUs (same wattage rating, 400W)
> that both failed with 4 months. The Antec PSUs have now been running
> for 2.5yrs without issues.
>
> For any named manufacturer you're going to find examples of product
> ranges that had quality problems: Gigabyte motherboards with duff
> caps, IBM GXP80 Deskstars, Maxtor DiamondMax +8 drives, etc. Making a
> unilateral decision not to purchase from a manufacturer because one
> product range had issues seems a little unwise to me.

Let me clarify, all three were purchased across something like a 2 year
window from the first to the last, I didn't buy all 3 at once so despite
all being labelled "Truepower" are probably different internally in
places. I'd hope the quality problems would get nailed quicker than
that.

Sure, I'd cut them some slack if it was one or so, but of _all_ the
Antec units I've bought, _all_ of them have died way before I'd expect
them to, that's a 100% failure rate, so I think I'm justified in
avoiding them. There are plenty of other PSU manufacturers out there for
me to work through.

Oh, and I had one of those Deathstars, worked fine for as long as I
owned it.

Matt
--
"I know it's your T1 because our network guy teleported into the Baywatch
hub and checked it!"