[sclug] Thunderbird connnection problems

John Stumbles sclug at yaph.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 20:54:13 UTC 2008

n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com wrote:

> I can't telnet to googlemail because it uses SSL. I worked my way though
> using openSSL to connect, and I managed to list all the outstanding emails
> and download one. So I guess that tells me that Google's POP is working
> correctly (as if it wasn't :-) ).
>
> Evolution completely fails to start. I tried reinstalling the packages but
> that made no difference. I don't even get the startup wizard that I would
> expect.
>
> My next port of call was the netcat approach, to test connecting to my own
> machine - I've tried setting up an email account pointing at 'localhost' and
> executing
>
> sudo netcat -l -v -v -p 110
>
> then getting TB to collect mail on that account. The output from netcat is
>
> listening on [any] 110 ...
> connect to [127.0.0.1] from localhost [127.0.0.1] 36725
>
> and eventually TB times out - no CAPA received. I'm not sure what that tells
> me, except that netcat must be intercepting the connection because if I
> don't start netcat, TB reports that the connection was refused.
>
> I'm out of my depth here really. Can you advise what to try next?

How about trying getmail? There's a howto (or a how I do it) on my
wibble (link in sig) - though I don't use ssl so you'd have to rtfm how
to set that up. You can tell it not to delete mail from the server, but
it should show if your server & connection are working.

--
John Stumbles                                       http://yaph.org.uk