[sclug] mail setup: getmail, dovecot - and exim?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Mon Jun 2 08:41:06 UTC 2008

Martin Meredith wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 13:39 +0100, John Stumbles wrote:
>> The way I've got it set up now I just have home-mailserver-box
>> getmailing the ISP and delivering to local users - as if I were running
>> a pukka mailhost on my home box.
>
> ?I could never do that myself. It's too much of a pain in the ass.

It was a learning effort to set it up: I don't grudge that. Once I
understood what getmail was designed to do and how my host delivered
mail it was straightforward enough.

 > I could never route email simply based on a regex...

Why not? I don't have to use regexps to route it here, I could have
separate rules for 'joe' 'joseph' etc: I just chose to use getmail's
regexp facility because it was easier.

> Is it not possible to use gmail as something like that - set your domain
> to forward to an individual Account per user, and then have your home
> box poll from that?

Why? What I've got works, and is only dependent on my host, not my host
+ gmail.

I think the situation in which it would be appropriate to separate email
into a specific user mailbox at the domain host and retreive it
separately is e.g. mail for my mum in wales where there's no good reason
for her email to be dependent on my machine here

--
John Stumbles