[sclug] Looks like volunteering linux boxes to schools is now criminal offense

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 15:52:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Jacqui Caren wrote:

> From the often less than accurate vulture central seems to have
> something here - I *hope* they have it wrong...
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/04/government_database_volunteers/

I've been tracking and campaigning against legislation like this since 1998
(RIPA), but your subject strikes even me as a particularly vexatious
interpretation of the legislation; donating a computer isn't working with
children (arguably, you're merely donating it to other reponsible adults, so
I don't think even concerns about pre-compromised-for-paedophile-grooming
fears should hold up). I sometimes worry that overly-vexatious
interpretation does legitimate campaigns more harm than good.

> Jacqui

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>