[sclug] Looks like volunteering linux boxes to schools is now criminal offense

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Jun 4 21:32:24 UTC 2008

Jacqui Caren wrote:
>  From the often less than accurate vulture central seems to have
> something here - I *hope* they have it wrong...
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/04/government_database_volunteers/
>
> Once in place, you will need a 64UKP certificate to do any volunteer
> work or you will risk a criminal record, which will probably put a
> stop to any clubs for under 18s.
>
>  From the article lots of clubs are now banning under 18's to ensure
> they do not have the overheads.
>
> Hell, even teachers cannot get a certificate due to cockups and are
> giving up on volunteer work...
>
> I thought we *won* the last world war?

I do not think the link you give says what you suggest.

I do computer volunteer work for Age Concern and also for a local
charity with adults with learning difficulty. It has been necessary to
get an Enhanced Disclosure clearance certificate for some of this. It
was an irritation, but the 5 areas of checks made showed as ok, which
is what I would have expected, I am glad to say.

A family member has for some years been a trainer for professionals in
the subject of protection of children. The attenders included police,
local government employees, teachers and other workers. I was part of
the team and saw a lot of the details of cases that have happened over
the years. Apart from finding quite a lot of the available detail too
ghastly for me to actually read, it is clear to me that there has been
a lot lacking in some areas in some places for protection of
vulnerable people.

It is logical that those who have motives to abuse, say, children,
will seek closer contact, will act to gain trust and confidence of
others, and will conceal relevant transgressions.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391