[sclug] UUIDs

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Jun 24 10:30:10 UTC 2008

David Kerrawn wrote:
[...]
> "dd" the block device contents moves everything including the UUID. The
> partitions need to be the same size or moving to a larger one and resize.

I have vague memories that some filesystems contain absolute disk
addresses rather than addresses relative to the partition, which means
that moving them from one partition to another with dd will cause them
to break --- but for the life of me, I can't remember which ones. NTFS,
maybe?

gnu parted is your friend for this sort of thing.

--
David Given
dg at cowlark.com