[sclug] USB Hardware on Fedora 9 Gnome frontend

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 10:22:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Bixby, Jamie wrote:

> I have recently dived back into Fedora and had to take a roundabout way
> to get Fedora 9 running due to issue with it and my Nvidia graphics
> card.  Most things are functioning now although I cannot get it to
> recognize my Microsoft VX3000 Live webcam or my O2 XDA Orbit mobile.
>
> This is what I find when running lsusb
>
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:00f5 Microsoft Corp. LifeCam VX-3000.

<http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=3929> indeed says it works
with the gspca driver. Incidentally, qbik.ch is always my first stop when
trying to get a USB device working with Linux if it doesn't work out of the
box. If it does, or if it isn't listed, I add it, and encourage others to do
the same.

> I have completed these steps to get it to recognize the webcam.
>
> I have tried removing and rebooting then plugging in the hardware.
>
> I have checked on some forums and it was mentioned a gspcav1.
>
> Information on it can be found here:
> hxxp://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/gspcav1/
> and here
> hxxp://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html
>
> But I cannot get it to work still. IT detects the camera perfectly but I
> cannot get a program to recognize that it is there.

Have you got it plugged into a hub? My gspca camera doesn't work if it's
plugged into a USB 2.0 hub, so that might be something to check.

What gets logged in /var/log/messages or dmesg when you plug the camera in?
Do you get any 'video' device nodes appear in /dev? Do you have any other
v4l devices attached? (e.g. TV tuners, video in cards).

Also, seeing as you're using a Red Hat-derived distribution, your best
instance is probably to add ATrpms as a disabled yum repository
(<http://atrpms.net/install.html>), then do

# yum --enablerepo=atrpms install gspcav1-kmdl gspcav1 spcaview spcagui

That way, when you update the kernel, it'll be fairly trivial to update the
gspca drivers too.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>