[sclug] Simple WYSIWYG HTML editor?

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 21:10:15 UTC 2008

John Stumbles wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a simple WYSIWYG HTML editor?

Not WYSIWYG, but if you don't mind (or are resigned to) editing source
instead, you could also try
http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index.html

I use this all the time, and it works fine for me, although I have spent
a while customising it. I've never found a WYSIWYG editor that produced
output that didn't suck, although to be fair I haven't looked recently
so things might have improved (although judging from the rest of this
thread, they haven't :-).

It seems to me that the fundamental problem is that "good" HTML is
about semantics, not layout: you say *what* you mean, and then style the
presentation afterwards. (Hopefully this isn't flamebait, or at least
not here.) WYSIWYG, OTOH, doesn't have this step - all the "markup" is
purely presentational. Attempting to infer the semantics would require
the tool to read your mind, so it doesn't try. The resulting data model
is inherently defective in that important information is missing, and
the output code reflects this.

I suspect that a "WYSIWYG" tool which attempted to solve this problem
would be just as long-winded as, and more awkward to use, than a source
editor. Perhaps the answer is either a source editor with better
affordance to cut down the amount you have to type, or some kind of
WYSIWYG CSS editor. Maybe somebody's looking for a project...

Will.