[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

Ottavio Caruso tat07x202 at sneakemail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:28:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:01:20 +0000 (GMT), "Alex Butcher
lug-at-assursys.co.uk |mailing list/linux mailing lists|"
<sohmjtjzd70t at sneakemail.com> said:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Pete wrote:
>
> > --- Phillip Chandler <phillip.chandler at ntlworld.com>
> > wrote:
> >> And who cares if their low spec. 2.66 ghz is
> >> actually  a good speed for
> >> a standard box for the average joe home user,
> >> especially for linux.
> >
> > Anyone else remember when a Pentium 100 was good
> > enough for email, web surfing and writing some
> > letters?
>
> It still is, but you'll have to accept that you'll have to use the
> applications that were around when the Pentium 100 was around, rather
> than
> today's applications.

You can still use Slackware 11.0 and X and fluxbox and opera and you
have a minimal but decent system.

I haven't tried Slack 12.0 but I presume that kernel 2.6.x.x won't
compile on that processor but I could be wrong.