[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Fri Mar 14 17:00:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 13:57 +0000, Tom Carbert-Allen wrote:

> 8 of Dell Optiplex GX280 DHS Pentium 4 2800Mhz 512Mb Ram, 38.1Gb HDD,
> CDROM Drive, FDD, O/B ethernet, SoundOnBoard, 8 x USB Port, Win XP/P
> COA, DeskTop, Black
>
> ?699.99  Inc. p&p & VAT

Well, that certainly does put it into perspective.

Would be worth putting together a local consortium in the village of
people wishing to upgrade and doing a bulk purchase and I could load
them all up with Linux (or xp I suppose for those with the stickers on
the side who insist on such things).

Incidentally, do the stickers come with a serial number so one can just
run the XP onto the boxes off any media at hand, or is each CD
individually coded at pressing?

Its been so long since I wound up my computing consultancy due to
health-enforced "retirement" that I predate XP!!!!