[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 19:24:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, M.Blackmore wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 17:52 +0000, Alex Butcher wrote:
>> Not individually coded, but XP does require activation. I really don't
>> think
>> that a COA is sufficient to run anything other that the original OEM
>> install
>> of Windows.
>
> This was what I was wondering about - the activation and what number
> needed typing in, off the CD/CD cover or off the serial number on the
> side of the box?

Neither: <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890>

"To activate, use the Windows Product Activation wizard to provide the
installation ID to Microsoft over the Internet or your phone line. The
installation ID records an association of the product ID to your computer
and a confirmation ID is sent back to your computer to activate Windows XP.

Activation is anonymous, and no personal information is required to
activate. The installation ID records an association of the product ID to
your computer and a confirmation is sent back to Microsoft. You can then use
the product key to install Windows on that computer an unlimited number of
times. However, if you want to install Windows on a different computer with
that product key, you may have to contact a Microsoft customer service
representative."

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>