[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Sat Mar 15 12:01:47 UTC 2008

All dell machines can be installed with the same DELL OEM cd (which can
be found online) and then you don't need to enter any code or activate.
It will install on the basis of having a dell motherboard alone.
If you then use a key finder you will see all dell machines have the
same code. The one on the sticker is just incase there are any problems
down the line and you need telephone support.

This is totally legal (well apart from downloading the CD, but you can
just as easily use a cd from another shop bought DELL machine)

Also, MS may tell you you can't resell XP with a machine, the rights
stay with the original purchaser. This is complete FUD in Europe, where
the right to resell software that was bought with a one off payment is
in the law. Only annually paid software can't be re-sold without permission.

TCA