[sclug] Eric Raymond and Marxist software development

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Tue Mar 18 11:25:22 UTC 2008

Dickon Hood wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 18:12:59 +0000, Tom Carbert-Allen wrote:
> : originator? does someone claim title to the concept of open source
> : software? If so, I don't accept this. Are you talking about this Eric
> : Raymond bloke that someone else mentioned?
>
> Eric Raymond invented the term, and trademarked it.  Accept it or not,
> it's what happened.
Looks like I need to revise my terminology again then. I was quiete
shocked when my suggestion that Open Source was more like marxism than
capitalism resulted in people reffering to some Raymond guy not being
happy! I didn't realise he had decided to take full ownership of a term
I use to describe a concept.

Problem with these debates for me is a lack of formal political
education and far too much time learning the actual code, not the
polatics of those who wrote it. I often find myself looking silly
because my assumption of peoples understanding of my terminology is
often incorrect. This is a big problem with anachism though, everyone
has there own idea of what stuff means so communication can either be
mis-understood or bloated with repeated definition for clarity.