[sclug] "Adding RAID" - what does that mean nowadays? I thought PCI bus was really slow

Matt Dainty matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Tue Mar 18 16:54:30 UTC 2008

* M.Blackmore <mblackmore at oxlug.org> [2008-03-18 16:19:49]:

> The PCI bus is, if I recall correctly, slow - about 290mbs/sec?? - but
> for light home use by at most 4 or 5 users over a 100mbs network or a
> wireless network such speed limitations make little difference.
>
> So if one is "adding raid" and seeing a major performance boost, that
> indicates to me that this raid is not being added over the old PCI bus.

The PCI bus has received some updates in its time, you're probably
thinking of 32-bit, 33MHz PCI. There's also been various combinations of
64-bit, 66MHz PCI available, along with PCI-X (eXtended?) to further
update the same design. However now there's also PCI Express (PCIe)
which is a different design which should promise more bandwidth.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Component_Interconnect
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

HTH

Matt
--
"If there are no spots on a sugar cube then I've just put a dice in my
tea."