[sclug] "Adding RAID" - what does that mean nowadays? I thought PCI bus was really slow

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Tue Mar 18 20:52:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 20:17 +0000, Will Dickson wrote:

> In particular, RAID is no substitute for proper backups.

Damn right and I really ought to get around to putting one of the old
motherboards in t'loft into the backup server box ... :-((

Given the amount of data that is really stuff we want to keep, compared
to convenience and so forth like avoiding downloading off the web, I
wonder how long before Blu-ray becomes worthwhile/cost price effective
for the not so well off home user to use for backing up stuff as a third
level of backup after a backup hard disk (which is still probably the
most cost effective home backup mechanism at present, yes?)?

For once nice to know a superior technology won out.

I still rankle at the memory of going betamax and then watching the
idiotic hoi poloi go for the grossly inferior vhs (I finally gave up the
struggle and gave away my betamax machines in 96 or 97).

Which leaves open the stability of the dyes used - I've heard bad
stories about cds and dvd's failing after only a couple of years, even
stored in dark closed containers :-( and making the "dots" even smaller
surely can't help?? I assume they are using dyes like home-burn cds and
dvds...