[sclug] Free computer

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sun Mar 23 18:47:52 UTC 2008

I have a computer to give away! No, it's not the Tesco one.

I am the proud owner of an Acorn Risc PC serial number 72-ACB15-1010373.
 It's got 10base2 ethernet (read that carefully), the 16-bit sound
upgrade, the 30MHz ARM610 processor upgrade, the 486SX processor
upgrade, the RiscOS 3 ROM upgrade, a 210MB hard disc containing...
stuff, an official Acorn PS/2 keyboard but I think I've lost the
proprietary mouse, and a whole 14MB of memory in two different kinds.

Alas, I'm not sure it boots properly. It powers up to the Supervisor
command prompt, but the desktop won't start (presenting you with a blank
dialogue with a 'Cancel' button), and half the modules (like ADFS) don't
seem to be there. I'm not sure whether that's because the CMOS battery
is so flat it's practically Flatlandian, or whether it's because I don't
have the right kind of mouse, or the right kind of monitor (finding one
sufficiently low-tech to work was a challenge), or whether it's
symptomatic of more subtle damage, but my Acorn skills are too old to
diagnose this. But BASIC does work.

So... would anyone like this? It's a classic, one of the computers of
the old UK tradition that made the British Empire what it is today;
however, if you want to run a modern operating system on it, or run
modern software, or use modern networking protocols, or indeed do
anything *useful* on it, you're probably a bit out of luck.

Oh, yes... it does run Linux.

Very, very slowly.

--
? "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my