[sclug] XKB Questions + Oldest (supported) Debian

Jason Rivers jason.rivers at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:00:53 UTC 2008

Hi all.

I've written some XKB extensions for APL Characters, and have worked out how
to set this up on Ubuntu, and on Suse, but I have some questions.

I have to edit 3 files:

/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.xml

however, on Ubuntu linux, the base.xml file is actually a symbolic link to
/etc/X11/xkb/base.xml

can people just let me know if this is true on other distributions, just a
post of your Linux distribution / version and the output of an ls -l on the
rules directory would be greatly appreciated. - mainly I need to know about
Debian (which should have downloaded by tomorrow for testing) and RedHat
aswell, as this is what most of our customers will be using.

also I'm wondering what the oldest supported version of Debian is - or what
people would generally use (on servers aswell as workstations - though
workstations for the "user" tend to be more up to date) - this is for
building the DEB packages without running into too many issues on the older
versions.

Jason.