[sclug] A good supplier of computer bits

Ian Park ian at chalmers-park.name
Wed May 21 16:29:09 UTC 2008

I've had reason lately to use dabs.com a couple of times: the first was
for a replacement optical drive for my wife's laptop - Dabs had a DVD
writer at a very reasonable price, and delivery was quick. The second
was for a memory expansion for my laptop - I swapped out two 2 x 512MB
modules for 2 x 1024MB. Again the price was good, and delivery quick.
However I found that the modules were faulty - both Windoze and Ubuntu
threw wobblies, and when I ran memtest from the Ubuntu CD it threw up
huge numbers of errors.

I went to the Dabs web site, got an RMA number with no hassle, *and* a
postage paid label to send the faulty memory back to them. This eas last
Thursday; I took the package to the Post Office and sent it off, on
Friday I had an email to let me know the replacement had been
despatched, and on Saturday the replacement memory arrived, I'd
installed it in my laptop (let memtest grind away for a few hours with
no errors) and it was flying again, within 48 hours of asking for the
RMA. That's service I'd find hard to beat!

Ian Park
--
Ian Park
17 Pyle Hill