[sclug] mail setup: getmail, dovecot - and exim?

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat May 31 22:43:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 02:21:39PM +0100, John Stumbles wrote:
> Dickon Hood wrote:
> >Create a mail group, chgrp mail /var/mail/*; chmod 660 /var/mail/*, and
> >run getmail as its own user which has access to that group.
> Thanks, but I can't see how you'd configure or run getmail to read from
> a mailspool, rather than from a POP or IMAP server. Clue please?

I think Dickon means you run it to write to /var/mail/user and the users
pick it up via dovecot.

So you give every user a maildir under /var/mail and get it writing
there and get dovecot reading from there and then it can all run as a
non-privileged user.

Or similar.

We're all on IRC in #sclug on irc.lug.org.uk at times so feel free to
ask questions there.

--
Simon  [ huggie at earth.li ] *\  "And on that day, Lister, Satan will  \**