[sclug] Ubuntu screen resolution problems

rob white bobby.blanc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 00:34:03 UTC 2008

Hello,

I just upgraded to Ibex without heeding the unsupported cards advice which
is problem one - and I'm waiting for the bug to be fixed.

I therefore have to log on in low graphics mode as I'm not sure how to set
up my graphics card manually - pointers appreciated.

More urgently though, I tried to change the resolution to watch a dvd which
totally messed up the display which is now unreadable for my user. I can
still log on ok with another user though, so there must be some user
specific setting which is causing the screen to go every time I log on as
this user, I've tried various things eg.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

*rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity

but I can't seem to put my screen resolution back to default. Any ideas
gratefully received.

Best wishes
Rob
*