[sclug] Ubuntu Automount + Eee PC 901

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Nov 18 22:48:42 UTC 2008

Matthew Cox wrote:
[...]
> 1) Ubuntu Automount

Yes, you can do what you want: they're called automounters. There are
several in the Ubuntu archive. I've used autofs; it's a clunky classic
Unix tool, and you need to read the documentation, but it works well.

OTOH, if you're more comfortable with it, Gnome has a user-level
equivalent built in. Simply use Nautilus to navigate to the share you
want, add it as a bookmark, and it'll show up in the 'Places' folder and
on the left hand side of file navigator windows. It'll be automounted on
demand and will appear with a big orange arrow which you can click on to
unmount it. I don't know if you can get it to automatically unmount; I
wouldn't be surprised.

> 2)  Eee PC 901

You will have *no* trouble running Apache and MySQL on an eee. I have a
measly 701 with a Celeron-M in it at 600MHz, and I run Ubuntu Intrepid
with 3D acceleration and full eye candy turned on, and do interactive
compile runs on it. The 901 is faster. Eclipse will probably chug a bit,
because Eclipse chugs on *everything*, but something like Code::Blocks
ought to be fine --- your only trouble will be lack of screen space.

Just keep telling yourself that you're not using a low-end machine,
you're using a high-end machine from 2001.

--
?