[sclug] Digital TV card and channel recognition

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Fri Dec 11 17:27:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:04:34 +0000, Andrew Sharp wrote:

: I have a TV card that does work in Windows, of course, but I would
: rather use Linux if possible! I have tried following some tips on Media
: Player (or MPlayer as I know it) which works using xine. I have
: installed w_scan and run that a number of ways to get three channels
: files in /etc:

: channels.conf for xine
: channels.dvb  for kaffeine
: and also /etc/vdr/channels.conf using a more generic  command
: (see  http://edafe.org/vdr/w_scan/ for commands used [-c GB switch does
: not work])

scan /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/uk-CrystalPalace

(use your transmitter; you're not on Crystal Palace, clearly) is what you
want.

: Here's a partial listing of the /etc/channels.conf for xine:
: [andrew at dhcppc3 ~]$ cat /etc/channels.conf
: FIVER(five):626000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_AUTO:FEC_AUTO:QAM_AUTO:TRANSMISSION_MODE_AUTO:GUARD_INTERVAL_AUTO:HIERARCHY_AUTO:6673:6674:12928
[...]

: etc, etc.
: These channels is the same order as listed by Windows KWorld software
: with Fiver and Five USA as channels 1 and 2 found and BBC1 as channel 66.

They're likely in the order in which it found the multiplexes.  Simply
reorder the lines in the file to whatever you'd prefer.

: Mpalyer Watch TV on 'DVB Adapter 0' from the Movies menu gives
: Totem is missing a channels listing to be able to tune the receiver.

Google for 'totem channels.conf' to locate the right place for it (hint:
it isn't in ~/).

: Kaffeine is more surreal. When run to watch TV, it displays the TV
: channels (but not the radio or shopping channels except for BBC Radio 5
: Live and 5 Live SX) but says "No suitable device found" when one of the
: channels is clicked.

Never used it.  KDE.  Hideous.

: How do I get MPlayer and kaffeine to see the channel lists and to view TV?

mplayer's handling of interesting transport streams is slightly suspect at
best, IME.  I'd recommend using vlc; 'vlc channels.conf' should do what
you expect.  If your signal is weak, and you drop transport stream frames
(which will manifest themselves as corruption in audio and / or video),
you may find it crashes occasionally in libpsi.  I've no idea why.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.