[sclug] Finding my transmitter

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Sun Dec 13 12:38:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 09:35:25 +0000, Neil Haughton wrote:

: > : What's the best way of figuring out what transmitter I'm on?

: > IME, a compass and a map.  Use the compass to see where your aerial is
: > pointing, and locate anything likely-looking on the map.

: PMFBI but I guess you are referring to some app called 'compass' that
: integrates with GPS and googlemaps or something like that. Sounds cool. So
: where can I get the source code?

: I simply don't believe you can seriously be suggesting standing outside in
: the wind and rain with a magnetic pointy thing and a piece of printed paper.

Of course I did :-)

I wasn't entirely serious.  Just a quick peek at its rough direction and a
site which lists your likely transmitters based on your postcode (such as
the BBC's /reception/ I pointed at earlier) is quite good enough.

: That's soooo not the Linux way.

Pah :-)

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.