[sclug] Finding my transmitter

Stuart Ward stuart.ward at bcs.org
Mon Dec 14 13:34:57 UTC 2009

How to mount an aerial and get it pointing in the right direction.

Firstly you need to know about where to point it, easiest way to do
this is to look at the surrounding aerials and point yours in the same
direction.

Next you need something to measure the signal strength with so you can
point it exactly the right direction. There are expensive hand-held
units that installers use. I just connected up to my dvb card and ran
the dvbsnoop to monitor signal strength, move the thing around till
the best signal is obtained.

Make sure you are well away from the aerial when taking measurements
as touching or just being near the aerial affects reception.

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143