[sclug] Digitising my vinyl

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 30 19:07:25 UTC 2009

I was pondering making use of my pre-marital hi-fi stuff now in the attic
(mates had pre-marital sex, I had a pre-marital hi-fi system) to get my
vinyl collection onto my music player. The chain I was thinking of is this:

Record deck -> stereo amp (as normal)
Stereo amp line-out -> attenuator if needed -> mic input on SB sound card.
use 'sound recorder' (Ubuntu) to record the digital audio file (in ogg or
wav format). I think it's hooked up by default to the mic channel in the std
audio mixer.
Clean up using Audacity, Ardour, shnjoin etc etc

Before I get all the hardware down the ladder and start soldering things
together, does anyone have any thoughts on how better it may be done,
especially the last bit? Will it work even?

TIA

Neil.