[sclug] RAID-1 on USB disks?

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Tue Mar 10 10:22:09 UTC 2009

David,

I think we made a big mistake here:
USB2 is 480megabits a second ~ 60 megabytes! Whoops, that was a school
boy error...

I was able to get ~50mb/s from 8 drives but the downturn in performance
after that was obviously because the bus was saturated above that point.
So using more than one bus would be the only way forwards. I suppose
this is also why the access time shot up, because the bus was stalling
and wasting time. I also have no idea what overhead is introduced by
having 32 cheap devices on the same bus. I don't know of/have experience
with USB monitoring/debugging to resolve those questions.

So the answer is yes, even with cheap promo USB drives one can fully
saturate a USB2 link to it's maximum capacity with good performance
(although different types and numbers of drives will have greatly
varying write speeds based on block size due to the whole "must write a
whole X KB block" problem with flash)

But in your target machine it doesn't seem like performance is the goal,
but do be aware that if you add more capacity and therefore accidentally
go over the bus speed it won't degrade gracefully (at least not with the
drives I tested) when you are reading from more than a a few of the
sticks, eg RAID stripe or multiple reads from any other disk layout. So
if you want more space you will have to buy SLOWER drives or limit
access speed as not to hit the bus ceiling as it doesn't seem like your
target devices is capable of supporting more than one bus. Even cheap
modern 4gb sticks give out over 25mbs nower days, so you are limited to
a pair.

If you are looking for a cheap low power linux system that can take lots
of IO space and speed, there are many other options, although not quite
as small as the shavaplug thingy. I have used in the past: second hand
modded p3 laptop=11w, mini itx eden board=9w, linksys router with
USB2=not sure but probably <5w all of which were <$100

TCA