[sclug] Power line ethernet tips

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Mon May 18 07:47:12 UTC 2009

If you like the freedom of wireless, why not just boost your signal (and
upgrade to 54mb atleast) There are many options here, depending on the
layout of your property. There are loads of plans to make your own
upgrades, from two pieces of card and some tin foil (called windsurfer
antenna) through tuna tin quads, to home soldering broken pole omni's
all depending on the sector size you are looking for. In the past I have
used <?5 of kit to get a laptop to go from not connecting at all to
getting full 54mbps speed in 30 mins. If you have an access point with
two antenna, you can always upgrade one to point to the problem area of
your property and use the other for omni-directional laptop use,
although on some brands this can limit your speed if both are using at
the same time as they switch between antenna at different rates. If you
really do have something in your home blocking the signal, either move
the AP or install either an active or passive bent radio pipe at one of
it's edges to get the signal round the blocking wall, contact me if you
need more info on that.

video roundup and guide : http://revision3.com/systm/surfer/
diy omni: http://wireless.gumph.org/articles/homemadeomni.html

As for the power line stuff: watch out for the cheaper units using very
low key length encryption but with the words "strong encryption" on the
box, especially if you live in a block of flats!
I have used them a couple of times in the past, even on temporary
festival wiring, and when you have two identical units they work really
well. Looking at how they work, I really wouldn't recommend more than 3
on a single phase though. And I believe there are currently at least two
incompatible formats being used by different manufacturers.

TCA