[sclug] Vote for free software

Neil Brown neil at neilzone.co.uk
Thu May 28 08:41:09 UTC 2009

Stuart

The question here, though, is whether positive discrimination actually
accomplishes anything, or whether it actually serves to show that Free
software needs some form of "special treatment" before it should be
considered.

A "Free-only" shortlist would be a retrograde step, in my opinion -
people should be considering code on its merits and problems, and
making an assessment. Raising awareness is one thing; forcing people
to use it is completely different, and is no better than a
proprietary-only shortlist, in my opinion, and I don't believe that it
does the Free software movement any favours at all.

An "open standards only" shortlist, is a far more attractive proposition.

Neil