[sclug] OT: convert rail tracks to tarmac for private coach network which saves billions and provides a better service!

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Thu Sep 10 19:00:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:21:36 +0100, tom at randominter.net said:

> The government tells us that 80% of all train journeys are less than 30
> miles though, so I doubt the top speed comes into it much

Maybe 80% of all train journeys are less that 30 miles *because* the top
speed is not that high. Once the high speed line from London to Scotland
is open, maybe the percentage of journeys less than 30 miles will
decrease, although I'd expect it to remain reasonably high as commuters
will make up a significant proportion of that 80%.

Incidentally, Tom, you might want to read
http://www.ehow.com/how_4771360_use-apostrophes-not-use.html