[sclug] OT: convert rail tracks to tarmac for private coach network which saves billions and provides a better service!

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Fri Sep 11 07:57:29 UTC 2009

John Stumbles wrote:

> No-one seems to have addressed the issue of: if we convert all the
> nation's rail-tracks to passenger coach roads, what happens to the
> 1000-tonne freight trains that regularly rumble almost-unnoticed
> across the land. Put a fraction of that lot on tarmac and you'll spend
> most of your time patching up the road.

that is easy, 1000 tonne trains are made up of long runs of carriages
less than 50 ton's each, which is the same as a lorry. In Australia they
already have a good system of road trains which is upto 8 artic units
pulled by one prime mover on the public road which actually go faster
(100kmph compared to 70kmph) than freight in the UK on very basic roads
with no problem. Two/three road trains can carry 1000 tons easily and in
the Australian system only take one driver, moving frieght in the UK
requires whole teams of night workers (I know because I checked out a
lot of these facts with my friend who has done this job for 5 years)
In fact our capacity to carry freight on UK rail is almost exhausted
because of it's in-efficency and slow speed. Currently it represents
less then a third of all ton-miles of long haul freight movement. If we
had a rubber wheel private right of way network, it could easily carry
100% and take most lorries off the road, making it cheaper to maintain
the public roads and safer for car drivers.

also, train track has to be repaired after carrying just 10% of the load
tarmac can carry before needing attention! This is because the rubber
wheel protects both the vehicle and road a lot more than a solid one
does by spreading the weight over a greater contact area with the
ground. Also because the tolerances are so small on solid metal wheels
they need repairing after just a few mm of wear. Tarmac on the other
hand can safely sink inch's before anyone even notices. Replacing lorry
tires can be done in 15mins by the road side. To re-wheel a train coach
take normally 3 days out of action at a special facility.
Also to repair that rail requires closing it entirely. Repairing tarmac
can be done in sections without closing the route with careful management.
Oh and the foundations under our railways which it is proposed to tarmac
over are already much stronger than A roads.

TCA