[sclug] Wireless networking with Ubuntu 9.04 (and derivatives)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Sep 13 21:14:02 UTC 2009

Neil Haughton wrote:
> I upgraded my Ubuntu box from 7.10 to 9.04 today and the net result is I
> cannot get my previously reasonably reliable wireless connection to work at
> all. (I have a Netgear W311gV3 which I was using with ndiswrapper and the
> WinXP driver.)
>
> The fruits of my googling are that the consensus seems to be that wireless
> in 9.04 is a bit dodgy and that I should change my adapter to something that
> is known to work 'out of the box', an Atheros based card being the most
> likely solution.
>
> I'm loathe to rush out to buy one without being reasonably sure of my ground
> - so does any one have such a beast (must be PCI and support 802.11g) lying
> spare that I can borrow for a few days, to try it out?
>
> Alternatively, can anyone recommend an 802.11g PCI adapter that is known to
> work with native drivers with Ubuntu 9.04, 'out of the box'?

I had not been aware of 9.04 problems until you say this. Going from
7.10 to 9.04 is a big jump, I guess you did a re install? Because the
upgrade processes only handle one version  up at a time.

If 9.04 is not so crucial to you you could consider the 8.04 LTS
(hardy) although be aware that the latest image is the fourth
generation and the one to use for an install now is
8.04.3
hth
--
alan cocks