[sclug] Standard of language

Matthew Daubney matt at daubers.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 09:40:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 17:19 +0100, haughtonomous wrote:

> >  Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from
> >  others.
> >

> With regard to the philosophy of "if you understand it, it is acceptable",
> here is some code I recently encountered whilst doing a review. It is
> obvious what the intention is, but would you consider it 'acceptable'? I
> don't:
>
>                         if (TemporaryDataStore.MoveToMemory(dataRows) ==
> false)
>                         {
>                             //do nothing
>                         }
>                         else
>                         {
>                             ProcessData(dataRows);
>                         }

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet again for a few minutes
because I'm interested in this.

Having had no formal training in coding (largley taught myself), my code
tends to look a bit like that, maybe with a comment above it reminding
me of my intention. I'd be interested to know why it's not acceptable,
largley in the interest of improving myself!

Thanks,

Matt Daubney