[sclug] OT: Android 1.5 TCP options ordering bug

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 11:22:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Alex Butcher wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Keith Edmunds wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:21:10 +0000 (GMT), lug at assursys.co.uk said:
>>
>>> No idea how many intolerant devices there are out there.
>>
>> FWIW, I've not experienced any problems of that nature with my HTC Hero,
>> which I've had for three months.
>
> Oddly, it's all sprung into life in the last few hours. No changes to my
> network or handset, as far as I'm aware.

Actually, I should clarify that, as I did have a power cut yesterday, which
necessitated power cycling my ZyXEL router, WLAN AP and Linux firewall.

However, before the finger-pointing starts, I should also mention that I'd
noticed previously that at least one of Twitter's servers (168.143.162.52)
was reachable from my Hero/G2, indicating my ZyXEL router was getting the
packets out, but they were being dropped somewhere within Eclipse's network
or by one of the tier 1 carriers!

I did notice that a traceroute to the aforementioned Twitter server took
quite a different route than to things like the Google hosts used for
Market, news.bbc.co.uk and so on. Tracing the route today, I'm pretty sure
that the route to www.google.com is much shorter (and different) to when it
was failing. Sadly, I don't have a copy saved of the route it was taking
yesterday to compare...

> Will be interesting to see if it's just a temporary thing because the bit
> pattern of the TCP timestamp is just right, or something.
>
>> Keith
>
> Best Regards,
> Alex

Best Regards,