[sclug] OT: Two weeks with the HTC Hero and Android OS

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 17 18:41:38 UTC 2010

David Given wrote:

> I would recommend *not* doing anything in C unless you really, really
> need the performance. This is because you will need to learn JNI.

Not familiar with the device, but based on my knowledge of Java for PCs:
if you need performance, try doing it in Java first anyway and then
compare the two. Modern JIT-compiled Java may well be *faster* than
calling out to C code - I suspect that this is down to JNI overhead.

If the device doesn't have a JIT, then the above is probably wrong, in
which case my apologies.

Will.