[sclug] Mirror disks across machines like distributed RAID?

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Sat Jan 2 00:20:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 23:48:24 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:
: ISTR some discussion here on something like this but can't find the thread.

: Anyway it got me thinking that a RAID-1 filesystem's all very well for
: preserving the data on a disk but it doesn't help if/when the host
: system goes bad, and I could really do with having two boxes capable of
: running the same services (NFS, SAMBA, imapd, httpd etc) each with one
: of the HDDs that would be in the fileserver, and to replicate data from
: one HDD to the other.

iSCSI.  Export the block device from the server to the client, use it as
any other block device (so add it to LVM / md / whathaveyou) on the
client.  Job's a goodun.  And it's standard.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.